Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pikes Peak-bound 28 year old Turbo-Miata

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pikes Peak-bound 28 year old Turbo-Miata

Intro:
    Welp, a few things are changing up in my life so I finally have the time, not only to visit the forums, but to actually write my new build thread. As some of you may remember, I sold the evo, picked up a miata for 1500 and thought "well, this is a great daily that I can track time to time". The whole "not gutting it" thing actually lasted for a while too, that is until the inevitable happened:

The car developed rod knock, which resulted in my oil pan developing a window through which the rod escaped. Oh well, better than the block developing a hole, I'll have more pics when the engine is out of the car. What the blown engine meant, however, was that I could purchase a daily, and turn this one into a dedicated project/race car. So I went and acquired a daily for 2500:

Nope, it won't be gutted or turned into a racecar, it has a working AC, power steering, and VVT. Maybe an autox event or two....

Lap Times:
    Streets of Willow CW - 1:36.6 (Stock, Brakes, Federal RS-R, 80 whp)
    Buttonwillow CW - NA
    Big Willow CW - NA
    Chuckwalla CW - NA
    Laguna Seca CW - NA
    Auto Club CW - NA

A Quick Recap
    Remember, this car was meant to be a daily, all of the following (well, most of it) was supposed to be DD friendly.

So here's how it looked when I got it:

I figured I would at least put panels with less dents on them:

Then I decided that wheels wouldn't hurt, I mean they were only 125 for a set with tires.

Then I figured I might as well put bigger brakes on it, since it needed brakes anyways.

Then I tackled the peeling clear coat by sanding and covering half the car in primer.

After which I put a roll bar on it, figured I didn't want my head to turn into a squashed water melon in case I roll the car...

Gave the car some color:

Hey the engine had 50 lbs less compression than desired in once cylinder, but at least it looked nice:

Got it a new clutch...

...after somewhat pulverizing the old one.

Then I put some stickers and stripes on it...

...and since enough was enough, I went out and started doing shit with it.

And after a while, I blew the engine. End of 1.0 of the build thread. Enter build thread 2.0:

Log 1:

So KT motoring in Chatsworth way back when gave me this Ralliart turbo they had no use for:

And also gave me an engine to build on the side while I was driving the car, which didn't turn out as planned. Here's the engine after I got it back from the machine shop:

The plan was to build the engine/turbo combo, then do the swap overnight. What ended up happening was I got rod knock, the engine wasn't even close to ready since I kept putting it off. This opened a new door for me, a door of opportunity with this car. I can now park the thing in the garage, and just work on the car until it's finished, while not having to worry about keeping it DD friendly, since I already have one car that's DD friendly.

The car is getting towed over to the garage tomorrow, and will enter the disassembly stage. The build will be a 3 course, with each course tackling different aspects of the car:

Course 1- weight reduction, chassis rigidity, safety and body work
    Weight reduction is cheap, and since I don't have the money to spend on expensive coilovers and tubular manifolds, I figured I'd spend an indefinite amount of time cutting off weight, fabricating fiberglass panels (yes, I'll be making some parts myself), maybe even seam welding the chassis.

Course 2- suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, subframe
    Basically the most expensive part of the project.

Course 3- engine and all related bits in the drivetrain.

Log 2:
    Last edited by surensm; 09-12-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my Blog: http://thatautomotiveblog.blogspot.com/

Direct link: http://thatautomotiveblog.blogspot.c...uildintro.html

Chapter 3: Roadster Cup.

A lack of resources made me think hard about the way I wanted to go with this. I was originally going to turbo the car, hence I acquired a turbocharger and a manifold flange, but then set that aside as funds did not allow me to go crazy with building the engine. Then I decided to go with expensive tubular control arms, but instead chose to save my money and simply rebuild the ones I have. In this build, I will cover prices, parts, tools, basically everything build related. Furthermore, I will include all the rules I must abide by if I want to fall in the right roadster cup class for next year. Here's the list of planned/in progress/done modifications. All of what you see may, and probably will change over the course of the build.

Power delivery/drivetrain:
    -Rebuild the stock 1.6: polish and cut head, block and crank. Clean pistons, buy all new seals and bearings.
    -Shorter air intake for ease of service, still debating on whether or not to do this.
    -Swap the transmission to one from a later model Miata, since they don't get stuck in reverse.
    -Swap the differential bushings, Torsen differential has already been installed.

Handling and brakes:
    -Koni Yellows paired with H&R springs and NB tops.
    -Energy Suspension bushings, rebuilding the existing control arms.
    -Hankook RS3 225-45-15 tires wrapped around 15x8 or 15x9 6UL wheels. Will need to flare the fenders to make sure all fits well (no pun intended).
    -NA8 brake calipers have been installed, along with Brembo rotors, Technafit stainless steel brake lines and Hawk HP+ rear pads and PosiQuiet pads up front.

Weight reduction, safety and interior:
    -Fiberglass doors, gutted trunk lid, gutted hood, and fiberglass hardtop. Remove soft top.
    -Dash delete, cut excess weight off the dash support.
    -Odyssey lightweight battery has been installed.
    -head restrained driver's seat, passenger seat undecided, but will only be used for ride alongs. Custom BBF low seat mounts.
    -5 point racing harness.
    -BBF cage - SCCA, NASA, PCA approved.
    -Will need a Hans integrated helmet as well as a Hans device. Might actually go as far as to get a full lightweight racing suit.
    -AEM Oil pressure, water temp, oil temp, fuel pressure and voltage gauge have been installed.

The car should be somewhat roadworthy for the first Roadster Cup event, but I'm not expecting to win any trophies. R&D will proceed, more parts will be broken and replaced. This first year will be a "break-in" year, just to get the car properly prepared for the time when I will take racing more seriously.

Some photo updates:
    I wonder what's in the box...

Clean up time:

Lots of new stuff laid out...
    Last edited by surensm; 01-19-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my Blog: http://thatautomotiveblog.blogspot.com/

Direct link: http://thatautomotiveblog.blogspot.c...ne-is-out.html

More news! The engine and trans are out of the car. In addition, I removed the rear differential; the bushings for the rear differential will be replaced anyway, so might as well. Furthermore, front and rear shocks and control arms have been removed, as well as the steering rack. The steering rack boots are gone, there is grime everywhere, the seals are worn. The shocks are rock hard, absolutely no compression or rebound, they're just statues now. Ball joints are worse than I remember, same story applies to the tie rod ends. The exhaust is waiting to be recycled, I had to cut it into two pieces to remove it, since the nuts holding the catalytic converter have been demolished. Who needs a catalytic converter anyway, am I right?

Now on the topic of the old engine- it looks like something out of a Top Gear special. The shortblock looks like Jeremy Clarkson shot it up with a 50 cal.. The head was saved, and will be transported to its rightful owner sometime this week. The explosion was so severe, even though it occurred in cylinder 3, the rest of them were also affected. The crankshaft is dead, although there's still hope for it to become a decoration in my garage. At least now I have enough metal to make the metal collectors happy. Either way, on to some photos:

1/22
    I removed the control arms and took them to the shop, since I didn't have the necessary tools at the garage. The bushings were pressed out, after which I tossed them into the hot tank for 60 minutes for a good clean. I was originally going to clean them up and paint them, but then I discovered rust that was hidden under the lumps of dirt, and some road debris that was stuck to it. So I decided to take the control arms to get powder coating, not realizing at the time that this was going to be the last thing I'll be doing on the car involving money for some time.

Studs have been hammered out.

Nice and clean... or are they?

Time to get sand blasted and powder coated.
    Last edited by surensm; 01-31-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here's the reason why I wasn't going to be spending any money on the miata for some time. 2002 Porsche 911 996 Carrera, my new daily.

Daily, I swear....

Trans is out for a new clutch, flywheel, RMS, crankshaft sensor and IMS Single Row bearing, all to get it ready for future events.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why is there a drawing of a cock on the clutch cover? hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeesEvoX View Post
    why is there a drawing of a cock on the clutch cover? hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    That's my signature touch, I always draw a penis on the pressure plate after doing a clutch job...

...not really.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keen eye though, Lees. I think this should be you signature touch going forward, lol. Sweet ride though man still like seeing what you get into.
    2010 GG Evo X

Power:
    AMS Down-pipe, MAP Resonated TP, UR Dual Exhaust, ETS Intake, Grimspeed 3 Port, Synapse DV, AMS Inter-cooler, MAP UICP and
    Tuned by Chet using EcuFlash
    Interior:
    AEM Boost and Wideband Gauges
    Suspension & Handling:
    Ohlin R&T Coilovers w/ 10k/10k springs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Keen eye though, Lees. I think this should be you signature touch going forward, lol. Sweet ride though man still like seeing what you get into.
    Thanks, Nate! I've only done it on one other car, which was my friend's after swapping his shocks. I have some plans for it but nothing big, sadly I've come to a point where "too much" is now something I must acknowledge. The 996 will get a Recaro Pole Position, Ohlins, TE37s or LMRs and some sticky rubber. No aero, no gutting, but all of this won't happen until maybe a year from now. Meanwhile I have to do things on the miata that won't cost me money, like assemble the engine and control arms and get it ready to get caged. The cage will set me back almost 5k, but it's worth it since it will prevent my head from being sheered off.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished up the control arms, minus the front uppers which still need the ball joints. I must say, this looks pretty bitchin' powder coated red.

Painted the engine bay, now to find time to build the engine.

Also painted the rest of the interior. Hopefully that's the last bit of painting I have to do.

Threw the pistons in to get soaked over a week:

Going to soak it for 4 days, see where it gets me. Grooves are looking somewhat better now, now to keep it
    Last edited by surensm; 04-02-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got discharged from the hospital today after a surgery. First thing I did? Install my new fiberglass doors (5 lbs each)

Also, got started on the turbo manifold. The car won't be boosted this year, but at least I want to have all the appropriate parts ready for next year. I'm going to be making a little how-to/follow along thread on how to make one of these at home for those who are interested. After all, this is boostedforums, right? Will include the details on where to get the runners, the flanges, and etc.

Last edited by surensm; 08-06-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here we go with more. Konis came in about a month ago, sadly no Ohlins for me this year. Suspension is mounted, front brakes are assembled, and the wiring loom is back in the engine bay. Also went ahead and rebuilt the steering rack, and depowered it completely while I was at it. It now sits on custom Dyer Motorsports bump-steer cancelling spacers, and is mounted using some aftermarket bushings.

Now on to the engine, and there's where things get a little fucky. Never again will I trust a turk to machine my engine components again. Son of a bitch lied to me, told me that I should use standard bearings for all journals. Chances are, the crank is dead, but I'll first give it a shot with some oversize bearings. That's only after I take it to Kowalski to see if he can salvage the crank. In the meantime, I purchased another short-block for a 100 bucks. The first image is the cylinder 4 rod journal, and the second one is cylinder 3-1, as they all are withing 0.004" of each other. Notice how there's almost a 0.050" difference. I should've known better, but I still knew only a little about engine assembly at the time, making me an easy target for taking advantage of.

The 996 is still a daily.... that may or may not be used for auto-x.
    Last edited by surensm; 08-06-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this thread! Great work comrade!
    RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives /Ti retainers - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan/cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ

2013 Evo MR - stockish

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, man! Videos of the autocross event coming up.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The car is coming together, but very slowly. Got another block, cleaned it up, and started the assembly of the engine. Some minor work left, and the engine will be ready to go in.

Make sure to use distilled water for cooling.

Some videos from the auto-x event.

Last edited by surensm; 08-06-2016 at 10:17 PM.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you talking constantly during your runs? Are these instructional videos or your vlog?

2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is your weight goal?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Locust View Post
    Why are you talking constantly during your runs? Are these instructional videos or your vlog?
    Got comfortable with the last run, so started chatting (...with myself). It's sort of a vlog, but more specifically a YouTube page for my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
    What is your weight goal?
    At the moment it's to stay at 2100 lbs with a 6 point cage by Blackbird Fabworx. That's how I'll be racing it next year, at least. After that, it's either getting the turbo installed, or I'm going to try to kill another 100 lbs, plenty of metal on the car that doesn't have to be there. The way you see the interior in the pics is pretty much how it will be +the cage, a steering wheel, a gauge panel and the seat.

So I'm trying to stay in the "street" class for next year's Roadster Cup, and here's how points are allocated:

I have +0 because NA, +0.5 because exhaust, +0.5 because 8" wheels, +1 because 225, +1 for OEM torsen, +2 for shocks and springs, apparently +.25 for my front lip, and +1.5 for my car being "gutted", setting me at 6.75 points at the moment.
    Last edited by surensm; 07-13-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test fitting the seat yet again after the wheel is hooked up:

Painting the differential mounts, ready for the energy suspension bushings:

Wiring is in, it's all starting to come together:

Small stuff being done to kill time:

Who said 996s weren't practical?

Engine is now assembled:

Transmission mounted:

Anybody knows the part number for the sender that goes into that hole?

Practice engine and trans are in!

Went about the wrong way as far as removing the windshield goes. New windshield removal kit is on the way.

Now it's the Race Engine's turn.

Last edited by surensm; 09-03-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9/2
    The windshield is out!

Made a list of stuff left to do as well as a template for the dash cluster. Definitely not final, but close.

Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ball joints are in the right way this time. Added a few tack welds to make sure they don't budge. Finished the dash cluster as well.

I have my fourth and hopefully final surgery this week. This whole build (and the rest of the shit in my life) basically got pushed back almost a year because of health issues.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so awesome. Good job dude. Don't know what kind of surgery you are having (hope everything is ok BTW). But to be having surgery, and building a damn race car from the ground up at the same time is astonishing, and my hat goes off to you.

The reason this thing is so badass is you basically took a piece of shit $1500, almost 20 year old car... And literally made everything brand new again lol.

Cant wait to see it fire up for the first time!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so awesome. Good job dude. Don't know what kind of surgery you are having (hope everything is ok BTW). But to be having surgery, and building a damn race car from the ground up at the same time is astonishing, and my hat goes off to you.

The reason this thing is so badass is you basically took a piece of shit $1500, almost 20 year old car... And literally made everything brand new again lol.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. 26 year old pos actually lol. I can't wait for it myself. Still got stuff to buy, and still needs a cage, but the timeline looks to be 6-8 months if everything goes decent. Will take so long because I still have around 10k to spend on it. That includes another practice engine and a race engine, plus quick disconnects for fuel lines, quick releases for bumpers, hood, etc.

Speaking of surgeries, going in in about an hour.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surensm View Post

Thanks man, really appreciate it. 26 year old pos actually lol. I can't wait for it myself. Still got stuff to buy, and still needs a cage, but the timeline looks to be 6-8 months if everything goes decent. Will take so long because I still have around 10k to spend on it. That includes another practice engine and a race engine, plus quick disconnects for fuel lines, quick releases for bumpers, hood, etc.

Speaking of surgeries, going in in about an hour.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hope all goes well for you bud!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hope all goes well for you bud!
    Thanks boss, can't wait to get back to wrenching.