Thread: Locust's Disaster (Build?)

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locust's Disaster (Build?)

Table of Contents:

Most Recent Update:
    This section contains whatever the most recent addition to the timeline is. If you want the full timeline please read the timeline posts.

February 20th, 2016 - Second Status Seat & Oil Leak Fixed

So there's a handful of things going on with all the tax money and bonus money rolling in for the first quarter of the year so let's do an update. I decided to put my tax return money towards a couple parts instead of paying off the Evo. Still going to pay a little extra on it to get it finished by this summer but I want to get the Evo a few new parts and get the FR-S race ready before April. This past week I bought an OEM aluminum valve cover for the Evo and I'll be getting a catch-can to go with it at some point soon. Also bought a Whiteline 20mm FSB for the FR-S. Hit a piece of glass or metal or something with the FR-S and had to swap the OEM tires back onto it, too, so now money needs to go towards a new set of RE71-Rs before April rolls around.

But enough of the rambling and on to the good news. After letting the Evo sit for 3 weeks following my most recent attempt to fix its oil leaks it hasn't leaked a drop. Looks like I finally fixed the oil leak so now I can activate it and start driving it again. Once I get it back up here to my house I'm going to compression test it just in case as there's still a little bit of oil coming out of the exhaust.

The big news/purchase is that I'm getting a passenger seat from Status Racing. They've renewed my partial sponsorship and the purchase will clear on the 22nd. It should take 8-12 weeks after that to get the seat I think. Just in time for summer! When I swap the Status seat in I'll also take that opportunity to wire my AFR gauge into the O2 sensor so I can log AFRs. Anyone here done that enough that you could help walk me through it? I'm told the plug under the passenger seat is different on every model year.

The Basics (i.e. Summary):
    This section is a summary of what is on the car, what the current plan is, and what it looks like today. Details can be found in the various sections linked in the table of contents above.

What She Looks Like RIGHT NOW:

Stats/Info:
    • 2012 Octane Blue Lancer Evolution X MR (Base)
    • ~3,342 pounds with 3 gallons fuel and no back seat
    • 360whp/290tq
    • 12.465s 1/4 mile @106.58mph (new pass coming soon)
    • 36,300 miles (10/15/2014)
    • Tuned by Aaron / English Racing @~8,500 miles. Re-tuned by Lucas / English Racing @~33,000 miles.

Additions:
    • Varis VSDC Hood (~10lbs cut)
    • Varis Dual Carbon Hyper Canards (~2lbs added)
    • Mitsubishi JDM Fog Light Delete Kit (~4lbs cut)
    • Mitsubishi JDM Front Crash Beam (~6lbs cut)
    • APR Carbon Fiber Front Splitter for OEM Front Bumper (~10lbs added)
    • Aerocatch Flush Carbon Look Locking Hood Pins
    • ChargeSpeed Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser for OEM Rear Bumper (~2lbs cut)
    • ChargeSpeed Carbon Fiber Vortex Generator (~2lbs added)
    • Enkei RPF1 Matte Black 18"x9.5" Wheels
    • Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z-II 265/35Z-R18 Tires
    • WedsSport SA-50m Blue-Black 18"x9.0" Wheels
    • Continental DWS Extreme All Season 255/40Z-R18 Tires
    • PW:JDM Bumper Fasteners (x2)
    • Muteki SR-35 Lug Nuts
    • GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
    • ETS 4" Front Mount Intercooler Anodized Blue (~10lbs added)
    • ETS Short RAM Intake
    • ETS Upper Intercooler Pipe (~2lbs added)
    • ETS Lower Intercooler Pipe (~2lbs added)
    • Akrapovic Titanium Downpipe (~27lbs cut total for all Akrapovic pieces)
    • Akrapovic Titanium Test Pipe
    • Akrapovic Titanium Cat-Back Exhaust
    • Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips
    • Forever Driven (DSG) Triple Gauge Pod A-Pillar
    • AEM Analog Boost Gauge (~1lb added)
    • AEM Analog Wideband Gauge (~1lb added)
    • AEM Analog Oil Pressure Gauge (~1lb added)
    • Mitsubishi OEM Blue Floor Lighting
    • Rally Armor Blue Polyurethane Mud Flaps (~2lbs added)
    • Ralliart Black Engine Cover
    • GiroDisc 2-Piece Slotted Front Rotors (~6lbs cut total)
    • Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear Brake Pads
    • SSP Evo X Relay Kit
    • AMS Small Battery Tie-Down Kit
    • Odyssey P680C Battery (~25lbs cut)
    • MAPerformance EF2 Turbocharger - Thermal Coated w/Turbine & Housing Porting
    • DeatschWerks DW65C (265lph) Fuel Pump
    • Status Icon Ring GT-X Custom Seat (~10lbs cut)
    • GiroDisc 2-Piece Slotted Rear Rotors (~9lbs cut total)
    • Injector Dynamics ID1000cc Injectors w/PnP Adapters
    • GSC S2 Camshafts w/ titanium springs & retainers
    • Dodson SST Heated Sump Kit
    • Nameless (built by a rally team in Europe) one-off dry carbon fiber rear window vents

Subtractions:
    • Evo X Red/Black Combo Engine Cover
    • Spare Tire (~20lbs cut)
    • Trunk Tools (~10lbs cut)
    • Trunk Plastic and Foam Lining (~2lbs cut)
    • Child Seat Metal Brackets (~4lbs cut)
    • Rear Head Rests (~3lbs cut)
    • Plastic Under-tray (~1lb cut)
    • OEM Fog Lights (~4lbs cut)
    • OEM Battery
    • Metal Cross-Beams Behind Rear Seat (~3lbs cut)
    • OEM Fuel Pump
    • Driver-Side Recaro Seat
    • OEM Turbo
    • OEM Hood Latch Assembly (~1lb cut)
    • (Temporary) Rear Seat (~20lbs cut)

Near Future:
    • OEM Aluminum valve cover
    Last edited by Locust; 02-20-2016 at 09:24 PM.

2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Credits / Thank Yous:

This section is still a work in progress but I want to thank the following people/companies:

Sean@DSG & DSG Performance - Sean from DSG Performance has been immensely helpful in the building of this car. Most of the parts I've bought have come from DSG; these guys can find anything and will get it shipped to you in a hurry. Their gauge pillar is great too. I haven't had any issues with it (I know some people have but that's the nature of custom made parts).

Colin@Status Racing & Status Racing LLC - EDIT: I guess Emily is gone and my rep with Status is now Colin. Thanks Colin! I have since added a 2nd seat and now have a matching pair for approximately 40lbs of weight savings overall. Status has an application for partial sponsorship through their website for people that are interested in their seats. I applied for one and they immediately got back to me to inform me they weren't availabe at the time. Half a year later they contacted me again and here we are now.

Introduction:
    So I guess a brief bit about myself should be included somewhere in this thread. I'm 29 years old, have lived in Washington (the state) my entire life, and work as a software engineer at a major company in Seattle. Typically spend my time playing computer games, drinking, racing, washing my car, golfing, playing basketball, watching college/pro sports, or sleeping. Lancer Evolutions are basically my dream cars (see below) and I will NEVER sell mine unless the most dire circumstances imaginable make it an unavoidable outcome. The Evo is my first tuner car (won't be my last) and is currently my daily driver. My basic goals are to turn it into a fully built track car that sees around 5 HPDE events and 20 auto-cross events a year.

Where it began:
    (Best read when listening to)

It all started about 13.8 billion years ago when all the matter in the Universe was clumped up into a tiny little anal bead (or if you believe in a religion let’s just say the world started 10,000 years ago in the blink of an eye). Sick of being an anal bead, the Universe exploded and flew all over the place like WhOoSH, pew Pew bang, baM!!1! Now fast forward 13.79999999999 billion years to about 1999A.D. on a tiny little backwater planet known as Earth where these Japanese dudes made a television show (based on a popular Manga) called Initial D. Whoaaaaooaaa run-on sentence!

A high school friend first introduced me to the show in 2002 and I found it pretty damn awesome. I wasn’t seriously into cars before then (my Dad had a Ferrari when I was three that I still remember riding in on canyon roads… but I digress) so it was really the first time I paid attention to sports cars; imports in particular. Season 2 had Team Emperor which was an all Evo team and the most badass drivers in the show (even if they eventually lost). Watching them and a few of the other Evos that made appearances in the show (there was a 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 spread across seasons 2, 3, and 4) I decided that someday I would own an Evo. In 2012 I finally had enough money to do so and here we are today!

The episode that started it all:

Last edited by Locust; 12-03-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timeline (part 1):

July 27th, 2012 - The Evo Arrives!

I placed an order for a brand new Evo X MR back in January or February 2012 after 6 months of reading these forums and weighing my options. The dealership told me it would be 3-4 months for it to be built and shipped. They tried to sell me on a Ralliart thinking I didn't have the money to buy a new MR but I wasn't having it (sorry RA guys). I went with zero options because the sunroof and other junk adds weight and the chrome trim looks hideous. Also, knowing this car would eventually be a gutted track car it seemed stupid to pay for navigation or leather. Here she is fresh off the boat w/ 7 miles on the odometer:

Being my first time driving a turbo car I spent the entire drive home wondering what that whistling noise was. I also had a cop behind me for 5 miles which was unnerving. Since I'd been reading this forum (and all the stickies; read the stickies noobs..) for months I knew two things were essential for a brand new Evo X - relays and mud flaps. That night I swapped out the relays with the ones from SSP and installed my Rally Armor mud flaps:

August 2012 - Road Trip!

Less than a week after buying the Evo (with less than 300 miles on it) I began a road trip down to Malibu. On my way down there I did a photo shoot in San Francisco (pictured below) and purchased some WedsSport SA-50M 18"x9.0" wheels at a wheel shop in Anaheim (can't remember the name =\). For some reason these wheels aren't really sold in the U.S. but WedsSport Japan has them on their site and it took almost 3 months to get them in; more on those later... The road trip totaled around 3,000 miles and was amazing. After the break-in period (around 1,000 miles) I launched it for the first time on an on-ramp and I'll never forget that feeling.

October 2013 - The Wheels Arrive!

The Weds finally arrived in October and by then I had stacked up a lot of parts. They were an ETS Intake, an ETS FMIC kit with upper/lower pipes (black pipes, blue anodized IC), a DSG triple pod gauge pillar, some AEM wideband/boost/oil pressure gauges, the Akrapovic titanium downpipe/test-pipe/cat-back exhaust, a GrimmSpeed EBCS, some Aerocatch carbon-flush locking hood pins, a Varis VSDC hood, a ChargeSpeed CF rear diffuser, and a ChargeSpeed vortex generator. I lucked out with the intercooler because ETS was out of 3.5" ones and they gave me a 4" for free! Since I didn't want to put a lot of the performance parts on without a tune and I didn't want to do the tune until the pillar arrived (it didn't get here until around January) I only installed the vortex generator and WedsSport wheels.

March 12th-14th 2013 - Full Bolt-ons and Tuned!

Let me preface this by saying that English Racing did a great job installing (almost) everything and was very accommodating to my screwed up schedule. Now that we have that out of the way... this was a huge PITA. Since I bought SO MANY parts that all had to go on at once (and most of them I didn't/still don't have the knowledge to do myself) I had to pack it all into the bed of my parents' pickup truck and follow my Mom down there (3 hours one way). Driving in torrential rain at 5AM behind your mother and almost $10k in parts is stressful to say the least. I didn't have any vacation to blow on this and working remotely wasn't an option so on Wednesday the 12th I drove all the parts down and dropped the car/parts off at 8:00AM then came back Friday at 8:00AM to pick it up. Unfortunately this meant I couldn't be on hand to see my Evo on the dyno or discuss some of the install with them. Everything went well with the exception of the hood pins. They were meant to be installed from underneath the hood but were instead installed on top of it. A friend is going to help me attempt to fix this sometime soon but we won't really know if it'll work out until we get them off the car and see if the hole that was cut is the proper size. If it's too big I'm basically stuck. Aside from that I've been happy with the tune and all the parts installed. If I could do it over again, though, I'd really like to be there to see my car on the dyno; I've seen some friends do theirs and there really is nothing like that experience of seeing your car on the dyno. You've already seen the list of stuff that needed to go on and the only piece that I put on myself was the rear diffuser. ChargeSpeed shipped the thing with no mesh and no way to mount your license place. I had to ghetto mount it with 3M tape and custom glue the mesh on but English was kind enough to fabricate up a bracket for the plate. You can see the tune and a few pictures of what the car looked like below. The numbers aren't as high as I was hoping to see but I told them it was a daily driven car that would see heavy auto-cross and some track. They kept it pretty conservative and safe which is fine with me right now because replacing an SST is $8,000.

July 2013 - New Tires/Wheels!

From March until July I did all of my auto-crossing on the stock MR BBS / Yokohama Advans. They were good enough in the dry for a rookie but we get a ton of rain up here in Washington and they were horrendous in that. Fed up with being completely out of control whenever it rained (almost every event) I decided it was time to step up to a better tire/wheel setup. Since these were going to be strictly racing wheels and I didn't care about how they looked I went with RPF1s in matte black with the new Dunlop Direzza Z-IIs. Even though these are strictly summer performance tires they were still significantly better than the Advans in the rain and it was a night and day difference on dry surface. I got one (very rainy) local event in before the national event and then put them to their first test at our 2013 Packwood National Tour event. You can see a couple pictures of it below. Right now I currently swap my WedsSports with the Continental DWS and my RPF1s with the Dunlops for event days and meets. It's kind of a huge PITA because I got locking lug nuts and the Weds are so delicate that if you just tap them with a tool they scratch. I'll probably get a 3rd set of wheels sometime in the next year and just shelf the Weds for show only so I can start using power tools to mount/dismount the wheels.

August 2013 - Moar Downforce and Another Road Trip!

Every year up here in the Pacific Northwest we do a meet & cruise from the Tacoma Mall out to Ocean Shores, WA. I had the bright idea of bringing a photographer along and renting a beach house for two nights. We spent a whole Saturday on the beach messing around and doing a photo shoot and then an evening getting drunk around a fire 30 feet from the ocean. Definitely doing this trip again this year. I didn't get any pictures of the road trip this time but I went all the way down to Malibu and back (with a stop in Disneyland!) and it was around 3,000 miles again. Just before the road trip happened I had to get my A/C line fixed (details in Appendix) and I got my Varis Dual Hyper Canards installed too. You don't notice the downforce much but you can tell they're working because they rip the bumper tabs out if you crack 100mph. Here's a couple photos taken on the beach:

September 2013 - Teh Brakings!

When I went in for my 3,000 mile maintenance (yes I still go to the dealership because my car is 100% cost covered under insurance for the first 3 years so I don't want to give them any excuses) they told me my front rotors were finally done. Fortunately I was prepared for this and had already purchased some GiroDisc 2-piece slotted front rotors and Ferodo DS2500 brake pads. A friend and I swapped out the rotors/pads (took us about 45 minutes total) and away I went. Supposedly it cut 3lbs of unsprung weight from each front wheel but it wasn't noticeable just driving around under normal conditions. The Ferodo pads with the GiroDiscs were definitely noticeable at auto-cross though. They have a slight bit more bite than the stock setup but make more noise too.
    Last edited by Locust; 02-29-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timeline (part 2):

March 7th-10th 2014 - First Sponsor, a Racing Seat, and Weight Savings!

Back in the summer of 2013 my friend told me about this sponsorship application that Status Racing has on their website. They said they weren't looking for anyone at the time but would keep us in mind. In February 2014 they contacted me again saying they'd be interested in doing a partial sponsorship this year and after talking through things with them we agreed it would be a good thing. As such I purchased a custom seat from them (approximate picture below) that should be done sometime in mid April 2014. The great part is that the seats are manufactured here in Washington so I can save on shipping and pick it up locally. I'm only starting with one seat for now (due to money and the PITA passenger weight sensor) but plan to get another one next year. This is the first sponsorship for my car and I can't thank Status enough for the opportunity. I also purchased a JDM fog delete kit and JDM front crash beam to cut some more weight from my car.

March 29th, 2014 - Turbo is Blown

So in the prior week I did an auto-cross event and on the way home the turbo was making a strange, high pitched fluttery/whirring noise during spool and under partial throttle. It didn't seem like it was holding peak boost properly either so I drove out of boost for the week and went to a friends to take a look at it on Saturday. We put on the fog delete kit and JDM crash beam and then took a look inside the turbo inlet. The thing was caked in oil so I think it's safe to say the OEM turbo is done after just 32,000 miles. This is the first major issue I've had with the car (fingers crossed it's the last for a while) so I'm trying to keep positive about things. A turbo upgrade was a lot further down my list of plans but it's jumped to priority #1.

April 18th, 2014 - Turbo Order, Rear Rotors, and Catch-Can Conundrums

A lot has happened since the last update. The car is currently sitting in my garage without insurance and it's leaking LSD Gear oil (thank you Dirk Diggler for the help). I don't have a 10mm allen socket to fix it right now and it's leaked enough that it needs refilled anyways. I purchased a DeatschWerks DW65C fuel pump, Injector Dynamics ID1000cc injectors, and a Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch-Can. I also put down $500 on an MHI TF06-18K turbo group-buy which then fell through. Fortunately Sean@DSG is the man and I turned to him immediately and put down an order for a MAP EF2 turbo with full options.

Unfortunately I didn't really do the full research on catch-cans before buying the Mishimoto one and I've since decided to return it (details in Appendix). I'm still waiting on the return on the MHI deposit and I may use that to buy a Driven Fabrication catch-can. I also (against my better judgement) picked up a set of GiroDisc 2-Piece slotted rear rotors brand new from Murlo26 since he needed to move them and was giving a really great price.

I'm still waiting on the seat from Status Racing and the turbo will take approximately one month to get here. It's starting to look like I may be back on the road in mid-May to get the turbo broken in. My re-tune remains scheduled for June 16th and I don't anticipate it changing at this time.
    May 16th-18th, 2014 - New Turbo and Driver's Seat Installed
    Friday my battery and diverter valve arrived (thanks UPS, you really suck at making time windows) and I installed the battery that night. Super easy install.

My friend's grandparents have a lift so I went over to his place to do the turbo, seat, fuel pump, and diverter valve install on Saturday. He's also the only person I know in the area that has swapped a turbo on an X on his own. I got there at 8:15AM and we got to work right away. I helped with what I could but it's hard to fit 2 people in the engine bay of an X so most of the turbo stuff was him while I did the seat. After a few hiccups, a lunch break, and some clean up we got everything together at 1:30AM and started it up. Didn't fully tighten down the oil return line; oops! At that point I had to go home and leave it for him for the next day. He got it done in a few hours the next day and I came back to pick it up. We filled it with coolant, I fixed the seat sensors, and we took it out for a spin. The car is working great (minus the fact that its not tuned) and I'm happy as hell to have it back. For the next couple weeks I'll be driving it sparingly to break in the turbo before I get tuned on June 16th. Pictures below:

November 14th, 2014 - Engine is Dead =(

I'm writing this update quite a bit after it happened (today is 2/25/15..) so some of this will be a little off but here goes.

The MAP EF2 initially looked like it had blown at an auto-cross back in late July, 2014 so I shipped it back to MAP on RMA and they repaired it and returned it to me in September. They didn't tell me what, if anything, they found so I assumed the turbo was the problem and moved forward with reinstalling it. Unfortunately the Evo was still spewing tons of smoke out of the exhaust (moreso than it had before). I gave it about 200 miles to see if it was just accumulated oil in the system working it's way out before I took everything apart and looked into it again. The following pictures are what I found:

After doing this my friend swung by with his compression tester and we ran it on all four cylinders. It came out #1 - 125, #2 - 130, #3 - 125, and #4 - 90. There was oil underneath the plugs and with those compression numbers it looks like cylinder 4 is pretty much kaput. I put the Evo back together and parked it in the garage where it will sit until I can afford to fix it.

April 3rd, 2015 - Finally Have a Plan!

So 2014 started off really well and got progressively worse. 2015 started off really bad and let's hope it gets progressively better! A summary of my year so far: a broken GoPro, getting pulled over and DUI tested (no tickets thank God) for "changing lanes too close to an intersection", a CEL on my brand new FR-S at only 2,500 miles, a tax return sent to the wrong bank account, a broken 3rd story window, pigeons nesting in my roof, cutting several long time friends (some good, some just meh) out of my life for a plethora of reasons, and some old lady backing into my FR-S. And that's just 3 months into the year, whew.

I talked to GoPro about the piece of crap USB port on my Hero 3 Black and just sent in the camera on RMA today. It's out of warranty but they're going to give me 20% off any new camera so I figured I should just take it because a working camera at a discount is better than a broken camera (seen below).

Dik is parting ways with his SST so I'm going to grab his Dodson Sump kit from him which will save me a little bit (and help our resident Maple Syrup baron) of green that I can dedicate towards other things. I guess we'll just call that the GoPro money.

After that I've got about $9,000 to play with for mods and the list I'm looking at right now is something like this:

Required:

• GSC S2 Camshafts w/Springs & Retainers
    • Catch-can (either Kozmic or Driven Fab)
    • Fix the engine*

Optional/Hopeful/Whatever I can Afford:

• Walbro Fuel Pump (because I'm told my DW65c isn't all that great)
    • Dodson Clubman Clutches
    • Recirculated O2 eliminator downpipe (don't know yet on brand)
    • Status Racing passenger seat
    • Varis VSDC trunk w/GT wing support brackets
    • Esprit dry carbon 1650mm wing
    • Ohlins R&T coilovers

I'm going to take the car down to TJ and drop it off with him in May and then whenever he has time to get to it I'll start updating everyone from there. I know he's a really busy guy but he's like the Evo Whisperer so I'm content sending him the car and waiting rather than trying to have some other shop do it. A lot of what I do depends on what he finds wrong with it so that's why the plans are so fluid right now but I'm hopeful that it's nothing too bad (it's not like I blew a hole in anything) and that I'll be able to squeeze in a few of the nice to have mods.

As I write this I just bought two more fuel pump relays from Kozmic so I can replace the one on the car now (36,000 miles) and have a backup one to replace it again in 6,000 miles since that's what they apparently recommend. I'm not taking any more chances with this because broken Evos are a pain.

Mini Update for the FR-S:
    I'm still planning to sell the FR-S but I think at this point it'll be closer to June/July when I do. What I find funny about this car is that I constantly get asked by people if it's fast and my response is always "no" or "well sort of" (depending on how much they know about cars) because, really, it's not fast. Sure it'll beat a Prius or Corolla but coming from an Evo it might as well be a Prius or Corolla. The main reason I'm keeping it until June/July is because I don't want to be left without an autocross car for the entire summer. It's possible I could bum some co-drives off of people but I'd just feel completely dead if I didn't have a sports car to drive around and call my own.

On the other hand if I sold it this month I could recoup about $2,000 AND get around $700 back in my pocket every month to put towards the Evo. Financially it makes sense but I've gotta do what's going to make me happy and that's keeping it for a little bit longer as an auto-cross car.

June 6th, 2015

Modern Automotive Performance somehow got GSC S2 Cams in which coincides perfectly with my rebuild so I went ahead and picked those up. It wasn't part of my original plan here but since everything is being torn down it makes sense to just do cams now. Took them about 2 weeks from purchase to doorstep which isn't bad, all things considered. However... they arrived with NO signature required. What the heck MAP?! That's close to $1,000 just showing up and sitting outside my front door.

The original plan for the Evo was to send it to TJ in Utah. That's not happening. As of right now the car is on a trailer somewhere heading to 5150 Racing in SoCal. It was picked up yesterday (Friday, June 6th) and will be transferred to a larger trailer before it begins its journey.

I'm flying down there next Friday to talk to Jon & Ralph in person and empty all of my supplies out of the trunk to store them at Suren's for the road trip back. They estimated a 2 week (am I crazy or is that super optimistic?) turn around if they were able to buy the parts ahead of time but we agreed that it would be best they see the car first so I'm hopeful that it'll be about 6-8 weeks. Se?or Dik is over a month behind in getting that sump kit to me so he's going to be shipping it directly to them. I'm stoked to finally have some traction with getting this damn thing fixed. Unfortunately there won't be any work on the SST this time around but likely after this autocross season I'll start budgeting for SST work along with a different manifold, O2 elim downpipe, coils, and trunk/wing next year. After that I can get back to work on aesthetic mods and sustainability mods.

And on the FR-S front... the dealership couldn't find what was clunking in the suspension/steering which is pretty infuriating. I'm again on the fence about selling it; possibly after this autocross season is over and I know the Evo is rock solid again. It is sort of cool having two race cars though...

August 7th, 2015

Today I got some info and pictures from 5150 Racing (you know, that place that has my Evo. I know it's been a long time and we lost an entire forum in between but try to keep up with me here guys come on...) and it looks like the engine is starting to come together. I'm told the head is at the machine shop being resurfaced and cleaned. They're re-assembling the block now. @Rik84's old, barely used sump kit arrived there yesterday complete with gigantic Mandingo or something picture for Jon ( @Bakaunchi that wasn't my doing so don't take it out on me please! If you want me to kick him in the junk for you I gladly will, though) and I've got some pictures! Pictures are always good because then I can dazzle you guys with colors instead of words and have you ever heard a picture is worth a thousand words because in this case it probably is since I only know about 1/3rd of WTF I'm looking at so pictures you get and pictures you shall have!!! Summary I got on the damage was blown rings and we'll leave it at that. Okay then! On to the color stuff with parts and things that look like they might be Legos or maybe car parts but I'm pretty sure they're Legos because they've got these rounded circle sections and that must mean that another Lego piece can fit into them, right?

Swivel Lego blocks, Lego crank thingy, and four Lego crowbars for your Lego figurine dudes to hold and look impressive. There's also a whole bunch of those little 2-dot wide, single high Lego pieces on the left and some of those 2-dot by 3-dot flat pieces that you accidentally stick to each other and then break all your fingernails getting them back apart on the right.

September 14th, 2015

Picked up the Evo from 5150. Cost came in right about where they said, car ran fine, totally awesome. Drove it about 60-70 miles that night and all was well. Someone then proceeded to turn on all the sprinklers in the world at the same time and teleport them into the sky above southern California because there was so much rain on Tuesday the 15th that California almost sank into the ocean. Didn't drive the Evo at all that day.

Pictures?
    Rain.

Dyno sheet.

September 16th, 2015

Kaboom.

No, seriously. Kaboom. The MAP EF2 blew. At least that is the most likely culprit right now. It's making this loud whirring noise and not spooling. The fins on the turbo were struggling to move and it can't hold above 2 PSI. Thank God I hadn't left for Vegas yet as I was just trying to get to a car wash at the time. Did a 1st-4th pull onto I5 and heard a noise that I can't really describe followed by the whirring BS and no boost at all. Pulled into the car wash place because hell it was 0.5 miles away and I figured it was just a coupler coming loose. Spent an hour and a half in the sun (I think it was like 88 or so outside) yanking the bumper, UICP, and intake then putting them all back on. Managed to lose my 8mm socket somewhere in there near the inlet, too. I'm sure it'll show up when the turbo gets yanked per the usual. After that I figured I'm already there so might as well wash the car.

Limped it back to 5150 racing about 10 minutes away, 2 of those minutes were spent getting up to 60mph on the freeway. Best 0-60 time ever? I think so. Jon took a look at it and he's pretty sure it's the turbo. We couldn't find anything that had blown off and the wastegate was fine. Ralph put out a call for OEM turbos and I bought one from a local guy. They're going to get it swapped in there and fix up the tune tomorrow so I can get this thing on the damn road. I'll tackle the turbo issue with MAP when I have time and I'll get a bigger turbo sometime next year when I've got a downpipe and some other things ready.

Seriously a big hats off to everyone at 5150 Racing because another blown MAP turbo isn't really their problem but they have gone way out of their way to help me. I want you all to imagine for a moment that you're 1500 miles away from your home and you have a broken car, a hotel reservation a whole state away, and no friends in the area. Pretty damn scary for a while there but they helped me find a good hotel to sleep at, gave me a ride there, and made sure I got checked in alright.

Now I'm at the hotel and I bought myself a bottle of white wine that I'm going to chug while watching TV shows on Xfinity OnDemand. Not sure what else to say. We'll see what tomorrow brings...
    Last edited by Locust; 05-29-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timeline (part 3):

September 17th/18th, 2015 (written November 8th)

So after a lovely night drinking wine and watching TV shows Jon picked me up in the morning on his way to work and I sat in the lobby at 5150 for the whole day. It was cool to hang out at the shop and see how they work and how they deal with customers. Jon and Ralph are great guys and everyone stayed late to get the car running again. They weren't able to get started on swapping in the used OEM turbo until 7pm because they had commitments to other customers but they all stayed until midnight to get it done. We went out and did a quick street tune and at 12:30am I was back on the road. Drove pretty much the whole way home in cruise control at 70mph (amazingly no one got in my way the entire trip). It seems like every time I take a road trip to California something happens that forces me to drive back in a single day. I really wish I could have a leisurely return trip just once.

This isn't going to be as well formatted as my other posts because my mind is a mess right now. Once their mechanic got the turbo off he popped it open and showed me the damage. Fortunately it didn't look like it sent any metal fragments through the engine so I may have dodged a bullet there. Basically it seized at an angle and started grinding on the edges of the housing. You can just barely see the damage it was starting to do here..

I also asked them to pull the tune that was on the car before they got their hands on it (the one from English) and give me an assessment. The basic diagnosis was that the tune was too aggressive and it was highly likely it was the cause of the rings blowing. I haven't talked to English Racing about it and at this point I don't think I'm going to. Don't really think they'll do anything since it happened over a year ago and I took it to a different shop to fix. Plus I have too many other headaches to deal with.

November 7th, 2015

Swapped the Weds back onto the Evo to prep up for a late night meet and then drove it to the football game. Immediately starting having issues with rolling into WOT in 2nd gear and then almost crashed the damn car with a sharp steering input when it started to slide in the rain. Definitely not my proudest moment but I caught it and drove like a grandma the rest of the day. The issues with 2nd gear persisted and at this point it's looking like the SST might be going out. If I give it any decent amount of throttle it just free revs and goes nowhere. 3rd gear is just fine and I haven't even tried going WOT in first yet. If I can't get 2nd gear to work then I can't drive this car, especially at auto-cross. Going to look into it a little bit more but God damn I just want the thing to work for one year. Is that too much to ask?

There's also a small leak at the oil return line. I tried to tighten it down to fix it but it appears to still be leaking so I'm going to have to get in there and look at it closer. Fortunately that seems to be a minor issue but it doesn't really matter now. Dealing with this car has sucked up all of my free cash and it's time for it to take another long nap until I feel comfortable dropping significant money into it again. Oil is coming out of the exhaust again and I have no idea where to even start. This is the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with. It's way too much oil to be residual stuff.

(Way, WAAAAAY late addendum: SST seems to be fine. Tires were not grabbing at all and car was going all over the place because of that.)

February 20th, 2016 - Second Status Seat & Oil Leak Fixed

So there's a handful of things going on with all the tax money and bonus money rolling in for the first quarter of the year so let's do an update. I decided to put my tax return money towards a couple parts instead of paying off the Evo. Still going to pay a little extra on it to get it finished by this summer but I want to get the Evo a few new parts and get the FR-S race ready before April. This past week I bought an OEM aluminum valve cover for the Evo and I'll be getting a catch-can to go with it at some point soon. Also bought a Whiteline 20mm FSB for the FR-S. Hit a piece of glass or metal or something with the FR-S and had to swap the OEM tires back onto it, too, so now money needs to go towards a new set of RE71-Rs before April rolls around.

But enough of the rambling and on to the good news. After letting the Evo sit for 3 weeks following my most recent attempt to fix its oil leaks it hasn't leaked a drop. Looks like I finally fixed the oil leak so now I can activate it and start driving it again. Once I get it back up here to my house I'm going to compression test it just in case as there's still a little bit of oil coming out of the exhaust.

The big news/purchase is that I'm getting a passenger seat from Status Racing. They've renewed my partial sponsorship and the purchase will clear on the 22nd. It should take 8-12 weeks after that to get the seat I think. Just in time for summer! When I swap the Status seat in I'll also take that opportunity to wire my AFR gauge into the O2 sensor so I can log AFRs. Anyone here done that enough that you could help walk me through it? I'm told the plug under the passenger seat is different on every model year.

Here's a couple pictures I took with my new camera (can you tell the FR-S is dirty as hell?):

Last edited by Locust; 02-20-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timeline (part 4):

Reserved for space.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timeline (part 5):

Reserved for space.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autocross (part 1):

These sections detail my autocross experiences and how they've influenced my decisions with my cars. I've also posted videos from several events so you can see the progression of my driving and perhaps get a feel for how an Evo X can perform at auto-x with various states of mods.

Bio:

Accolades & Responsibilities
    2013 NWR SCCA Co-Novice of the Year
    2014 NWR SCCA (Stock) Timing Chief

Cars & Classes
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
    Octane Blue
    Street Modified #28 (SCCA) & Touring Sedan #28 (BSCC)

2015 Scion FR-S RS 1.0
    Yuzu Yellow
    C Street #28 (SCCA)

Intro:

The first time I'd ever heard of autocross was at my first Evo meet in December 2012. The car was completely stock aside from a vortex generator and Wedssport wheels. Someone at the meet told me about autocross and I went out to watch one in March 2013. If you haven't been to an event before it's worth going to see. After that I decided I had to try it so I first raced at an autocross in April 2013 when I attended a local SCCA Novice School event (
    see video below
    ). Needless to say I got hooked pretty quickly and now I'm building my Evo with a goal of the F-Prepared or X-Prepared classes and also plan to run a Scion FR-S RS1.0 in C-Stock for local SCCA for at least the 2015 season. I participate in 6-8 local SCCA events a year along with two SCCA National Tour events (Solo & ProSolo, one each) in the state of Washington and participate in 6-10 local Bremerton Sports Car Club (BSCC) events a year. If you have any questions or are interested in getting into autocross in the state of Washington feel free to PM me here and I'd be happy to help you out.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autocross (part 2):

This section contains a sampling of videos from my various autocross events. Constructive criticism is always welcome if you have any.

My very first event (April 20th, 2013):

My 4th event (3rd if you consider competition only):
    So this is where I first learned how terrible the OEM Yokohama Advans can be in the rain. Needless to say I drove like a grandma the rest of the day because I was terrified.

Last event of 2013 (BSCC #8):
    You can see my driving improved quite a bit from the start of the year until this. Still a long ways to go but definitely better.

July 2014 (BSCC #6):
    Massive improvement as you can see from the video. My best run of the day on severely overheating Dunlop Z2s.

May 3rd, 2015 (NWR-SCCA #2):
    This one is in the FR-S. Last run of the day (run #4) on a fairly long Packwood course. Dropped 5/10ths for a 73.013.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autocross (part 3):

Reserved.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autocross (part 4):

Reserved.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drag Racing and HDPE:

Coming soon.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Breakdown (part 1):

This section describes every (non-maintenance) purchase I've made, why I did it, what I learned, what I've gotten from it, and if I'd do it again. My overall philosophy for parts is simple: If you plan to do something to your car then you should do it right the first time and only ever do it once. With that in mind almost every purchase I've made has been something I would keep on my car until it breaks or the car dies.

ETS Intake (Overall: 9/10) - When I looked at the feedback on all of the intakes it really didn't seem like there was much of a difference between them. I could have gone "mad JDM, bro" and gotten an Arc (which is absolutely beautiful) but I felt that this was one of the areas where I didn't necessarily need to spend top dollar. No one has really had a problem with the ETS intake and it sounds great (when it's clean). I also figured that since English Racing was going to be doing the install/tune and they basically only sell ETS parts it would be smart to get what they're used to working with. I've had it on the car for 23,000 miles now and haven't had any issues with it. It's time to clean it so maybe I'll provide an update once I've done that. If I had to do everything over again I'd probably still buy this intake.

ETS Front-Mount Intercooler with Upper/Lower Pipes (Overall: 8/10) - Same reasons as the ETS intake apply here. I've been happy with the kit and have never had any heating issues thus far (but we'll see once I do HPDE). The 4" is definitely overkill for my build/plans and it's quite heavy so I'm actually a little disappointed I was given that instead but it's more expensive than the 3.5" so I guess I got a gift. Having it anodized blue was a great idea and it's a very subtle touch that most people don't notice until it's pointed out. I do have my concerns over the paint fading but that's inevitable with any colored product. If I had it to do over again I might go a different route on the pipes and probably would have gone with a 3" intercooler instead.

GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid (Overall: 10/10) - There isn't really a lot to say about this part. You only have a handful of options for your EBCS and it's pretty widely understood that a manual boost controller is a bad idea on the X. It's in the car, it works, and it makes it easier for my tuner.

ChargeSpeed Carbon Fiber Vortex Generator (Overall: 9/10) - I know this isn't the most functional part you can get for an X but I always loved the look of them on the 8s and 9s. Supposedly it reduces your drag co-efficient by an extremely minimal amount but hey... if they're putting them on the FQ360 then why not have one on a USDM Evo? It was really easy to put this thing on as all I needed to do was line all four sides with 3M tape and leave some books on top of it overnight. The thing doesn't move a millimeter no matter how much you tug on it. There's really only one downside and it's that you can't make it 100% waterproof so there's definitely some water getting underneath the VG; that's not good for your paint but someday I'll replace the roof so whatever. If I had to do everything over again I'd buy the same part.

ChargeSpeed Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser (Overall: 6/10) - This is one of only two parts on my car I'm not happy with. Fitment was about a 7/10 as it's slightly off on one side and the screws were a pain to get in. Installation was a 2/10. Putting screws directly into carbon fiber holes is not what I want to be doing with a part like this. When it got to my house it has no mesh installed and no mesh was included either. I had to buy some cheap mesh from Home Depot and a bunch of 5 minute epoxy. It took me over 4 hours to get the stuff glued into place (and it still didn't glue properly because some of the edges of the vent areas are tiny with no surface area to glue onto). To make sure it actually stuck I had to use a lot of glue and pretty much submerge the edges of the mesh in it so you can see a tiny bit of glue that leaked onto the visible areas. My goal with this part was to cut weight so I've at least accomplished that but if I had it to do over again I would skip it. Unless they start making a version that has mesh professionally installed from the factory it just isn't worth it.

Varis VSDC Carbon Fiber Cooling Bonnet/Hood (Overall: 10/10) - You guys are going to think my reasons for wanting this are stupid and a waste of money but I don't particularly care. I've always loved the look of carbon fiber hoods on cars. I think a big reason I really wanted one on my X is because I used to get the Sultan RS in GTA IV and I would keep driving it in and out of the paint shop until I got a blue or green one with a CF hood. On top of that I wanted to cut weight so after months of research I found that Varis was really the only company that made CF hoods that were lighter than stock. These hoods are made to order so it was a 3 month wait for it to come in (wasn't in a rush anyways) but when it did arrive it was perfect. There were no flaws in the clear coat, the mesh for the vents was included along with a hood latch (didn't use it), and the fitment is about as perfect as you can get. When you lift it you can definitely feel the difference in weight too. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a thing. (Also: I know CF parts eventually yellow and when that happens I'll paint it)

WedsSport SA-50M 18"x9.0" Wheels (Overall: 6/10) - This is the second of two parts on my car that I'm not happy with. It's not that I don't like the look of the wheels or that they're too heavy or anything like that. They are just too damn delicate. I can't swap wheels in a hurry if I need to for racing because you can't touch these things with metal at all. Even being as careful as I possibly can they still get slight nicks around the lug nuts. It's also impossible to repair curb rash on them. One of them got messed up and because the paint (it looks black but it's actually a blue/purple/black type combo) is way too difficult to duplicate and the underlying color of the wheel is light gray there's nothing a shop can do but paint them solid black. I just put black lacquer on it instead. It would actually cost more to attempt to repair one wheel than to just buy a new one which is a bit ridiculous. The other thing about these wheels is that keeping them clean is a necessity. As soon as even a tiny bit of brake dust gets on them they look nothing like they're supposed to. I put Opti-Coat on them when I first got them and have waxed them several times but the design of the spokes just sucks up dirt and holds onto it for dear life. If I had it to do over again I'd just get Volks; they're easy to clean, light as hell, and still look good.

Rally Armor Mud Flaps (Overall: 9/10) - I've read (and believe) these are a necessity on the X. I can vouch for how thin the factory paint is from experience and since I've owned these since I got the car (31,500 miles ATM) I only have 2 rock chips on the sides of the car beyond the front wheels. The only reason I didn't give these a 10 is because I had to cut the insides of the front ones with scissors to keep them from rubbing on my 255/40 tires. I would do this over again in a heartbeat.

APR Front Splitter for OEM Bumper (Overall: 9/10) - I love the look of splitters and also wanted the down-force and this was the best of both worlds. I don't plan to change the stock bumper except to maybe go with a full CF replica someday so I'll have this for a while. You can easily feel the extra down-force on the front of the vehicle after the install so you know it's working. The support rods don't mount to the car easily so I gave this a 9/10. Ideally you drill into your front crash beam but you can put it into the plastic if you have to (mine started in the plastic and bent it up quite a bit). I'd definitely do this again if I had to start the car over.

Aerocatch Carbon Look Flush Locking Hood Pins (Overall: 7/10) - They look great, hold the hood down, and can be locked; that's basically what you want out of these. Installation isn't easy because you need to cut into your hood to mount them (beyond just drilling) and the lock is tough to get the key into. It's actually taken me 5 minutes to get the key into a lock before and hey sometimes struggle to close. If I had it to do over again I'd still go with the locking ones simply because I don't want people jacking stuff from my engine bay at meets or while parked.

GiroDisc Front Slotted 2-Piece Rotors (Overall: 9/10) - The weight difference isn't immediately noticeable but 6lbs (12 for GSR) of un-sprung weight savings is pretty important. After almost a full year of autocross events on these I haven't seen any heat related issues. One event you could have cooked steaks off my tires but braking wasn't affected in the slightest. This may be an incomplete review since I haven't done any HPDE with them but these rotors are solid.

Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads - Front (Overall: 8/10) - These are great daily driver and auto-cross pads. They bite a little bit harder than OEM but they do squeal more than stock pads. Brake pads and a few other mods are the only ones I will make purchases that aren't part of my long-term goals since they're wear items. If I were going with dedicated track pads I don't think I would go with these but since this is my daily driver and I see a lot of auto-cross these are perfect for me. They get an 8/10 because of brake noise and being barely better than OEM but otherwise I'd recommend them and would purchase them again. Update: These are actually really good for auto-cross when you get them warmed up. I strongly recommend them as an OEM replacement.

Muteki SR-35 Black Locking Lug Nuts - (Overall: 7/10) - They work but they're nothing special. It's nice to have locks but sucks for racing (frustrating to constantly change). Replaced with KICS Neochrome lugs after a year of ownership. They held up really well to dozens of tire swaps and are definitely worth the cost.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-09-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Breakdown (part 2):

Enkei RPF1 Matte Black 18"x9.5" +15
    (Overall: 9/10) - Solid, inexpensive wheels used mostly for racing. These are lightweight compared to most of the crap you would buy and they get the job done. There's nothing flashy about them yet they're easy to clean and look decent enough when they are. I bought these knowing that they're a wear item and may break eventually (the tires almost cost just as much). They get a 9/10 because they don't look all that impressive; otherwise they're perfect.

Continental DWS 255/40Z-R18 All-Season Tires (Overall: 8/10) - I really wish I'd gotten 255/35; oops. These are good tires for rain (haven't tried snow yet) and do well enough on dry tarmac but their sidewall is SOFT. They'll hold up to whatever you want to do but you can feel the squishy sidewalls immediately. They're also loud as hell. That said... they're the best all-seasons you can buy so I'd recommend them to anyone that doesn't live in a state that has 25+ days of snow.

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z-II 265/35Z-R18 Summer Tires (Overall: 10/10) - They grip hard as hell, they're meant for heavy cars like the X, the sidewall is STIFF, and they look great. Amazing tires that still perform decent in the rain; I highly recommend them to anyone with an X that needs street legal racing tires.

Forever Driven (DSG) Triple Gauge A-Pillar Pod (Overall: 9/10) - Fitment is perfect, delivery time from order (due to custom made part and waiting list for batches) was about 5 months, and install is a breeze. For the price and quality this part was worth it; if the wait were shorter I'd have given it a 10/10. I know some people have had issues with theirs cracking (don't know if they hit it on accident or what) but that is sort of the risk you run with custom made parts. If I had it to do over again I'm not certain I would do this but I think it's likely. It's actually pretty hard to look at the pillar while you're doing any serious driving.

AEM Wideband, Oil Pressure, & Boost Analog Gauges (Overall: 8/10) - I know because they're analog that they're not going to read 100% accurate but sometimes it's really hard to read these things cause they tend to be a little bouncy. I love that you can set the color (I had all mine set to blue, of course). If I had to do it over again I'd probably wait to get gauges but that's also a function of how great my tune has been.

Pro Tune from English Racing (first tune) (Overall: 10/10) - I only wish I'd gotten to be there when it was on the dyno. The tune has been perfect; not too rich.. not too lean. Works in winter and summer and nothing bad has happened. Only once has the car ever thrown a code (Mitsu dealer said it threw a misfire in a cylinder when they started it up at their shop). They also worked a little bit of their magic on the SST and it feels great.

Varis Dual Carbon Hyper Canards (Overall: 9/10) - I love the way these look and while that's the primary reason I bought them they're still functional as well. When I get over 110mph the tabs on the bumper start to pop out (which is why I got PW:JDM fasteners). Down the road I know these will be helpful for my final build so I'm fine with having them as a vanity mod for now. For whatever odd reason Varis didn't put any finish on the bottom of these. If they had I'd give them a 10/10 but without it I'm just puzzled. Still not sure if I'll get someone to clear-coat the bottom of them but I would definitely purchase them again. As far as canards go the Varis ones are up there among the best.

Akrapovic Titanium Full-Line Exhaust (Overall: 9/10) - I really want to rate this a 10... I do. Buuuut I kinda want it to be a little louder. This exhaust is absolutely beautiful on the car; the carbon fiber tips look great (albeit they burned really easy) and sound amazing. Under 3,000RPM it's basically just as quiet as the stock exhaust and then when you get above 3k it has a very unique (but not obnoxious) roar. The approximate weight savings of 27 pounds and the bends rather than welds is incredible. As long as you treat your car well and don't drive over large debris this thing will never break on you. I would definitely buy this again in a heart-beat; it's worth every penny. However, I might skip the down-pipe if I had the chance since it doesn't replace the stock O2 housing you don't really gain any power from it.

Password JDM Bumper Fasteners (Overall: 8/10) - I got these because my canards were tearing my bumper out if I broke 100MPH. They're cheap and effective but I give them an 8/10 because it's really hard to judge the distance you need to separate them for the install. The rubber band is pretty hard to stretch by hand but when you put it onto the fasteners they sink into them once they've been stretched. It's hard to describe but you can end up with loose fasteners because you stretched them tight. A friend also had these before and the bands wear out fairly quickly (6-12 months).

JDM Front Crash Beam (Overall: 9/10) - I got this to cut weight and allow for a front tow hook without having to drill into the beam. Fitment was perfect, installation was a breeze, and it came with brand new air guides. The only reason I give it a 9/10 is because the beam saves a bunch of weight but the support brackets are still heavy as hell. Overall I think the beam alone is only around 3-4 pounds of savings but I wasn't able to measure it. I'd definitely buy this again because the minor weight savings and the tow hook hole are worth it.

JDM Fog Light Delete Kit (Overall: 10/10) - First off I must say that I actually like the look of the fog lights on the X and will probably miss them after a while. However, this kit is perfect and when you have other additions to the front of the car (canards/splitter) it looks a lot better. I've seen the delete kit on cars without anything else on the front and it looks like a Lancer. The weight savings seems to be around 4 pounds which is pretty good for the front of the car. This is another part that I would still buy if I had to do everything over again.

AMS Small Battery Tie Down Kit (Overall: 8/10) - It's pretty cheap and it does what you need. Could be cheaper (2 metal rods and a piece of plastic isn't exactly expensive) but I get why it isn't. If your goal is weight savings then it's worth buying; if not then just get an Optima Red Top and be done with it.

Odyssey P680C Lightweight Battery (Overall: 9/10) - Does what you need it to (starts and runs the car) so what more could you ask for? It's hard to review a battery until after years of use so I will update this after EACH winter.

MAPerformance EF2 Turbo (Overall: N/A) - For install I give this an 8/10 because they don't give you any new gaskets (the one on the oil return line is a MUST). Aside from that the turbo fits as it should so no issues there. Full review coming once it's dyno'd and driven at an event. Quick update to this: The bolts that come with it that are holding the wastegate might back out if you don't redo them.

Status Racing Ring GT-X Seat (Overall: 9/10) - This one is going to get its own thread for a review so I'll keep this part simple. Install gets an 8/10 ONLY because the rails were a little difficult; everything else was easy. The Seat itself gets a 10/10 so far. It has almost no flex, it holds you in place, it looks gorgeous, it weighs at least 10lbs less than the stock seat, and you can see/feel how high quality the work is.

Synapse Diverter Valve (Overall: N/A) - This isn't on the car right now because I think it's leaking but haven't had the time to figure it out. I know, at the very least, that a loud whistle from my engine bay went away when I swapped back to the OEM blow-off valve. For now consider the review a poor one until I get it sorted.

DeatschWerks DW65C Fuel Pump (Overall: N/A) - For install I give this a 10/10. It fits right where the stock pump is flawlessly. Read the Appendix for installation notes because the fuel pump can be tricky. I can't say anything bad about this right now. It works and that's what you want it to do. Review may be updated if it ever has issues but as of now it's a solid 10/10. Update: According to multiple tuners/shops this fuel pump is unreliable. 5150 Racing will be siwtching it out with a different one and I'll give a review on that one later. This one will be sold once I get it back.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-30-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Breakdown (part 3):

Reserved for space.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Breakdown (part 4):

Reserved for space.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Breakdown (part 5):

Reserved for space.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gallery (part 1):
    Here's a collection of all of my favorite pictures that I have of the car. You can see what it looked like at various stages (I especially like when it was stage 2, bros).

Lost all the links in the forum crash. Will rebuild this over time.
    Last edited by Locust; 02-12-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gallery (part 2):

Reserved for space.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gallery (part 3):

Reserved for space.
    Last edited by Locust; 08-06-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gallery (part 4):

Reserved for space.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gallery (part 5):

Reserved for space.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gallery (part 6):

Reserved for space.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gallery (part 7):

Reserved for space.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gallery (part 8):

Reserved for space.